- Orientation, safety training, and tour around the Market Garden.
- Met Leigh, Sara, Raoul, and Hannah today.
- The first day working on the Market Garden. Started around 8:30 in the morning.
- Headed over to the greenhouse first to prepare the seedlings for transplantation.
Blooming seedlings in the greenhouse!
- Before heading to the fields, Raoul showed me how to handle the seedlings before transplanting them. We dip the seedlings for about 15 seconds in water mixed with fertilizers to give the seedlings a small boost in nutrients before planting them on the fields.
- First time on the back of a tractor; begun transplanting rows of tomatoes.
(Have to find out the 3 kinds I planted)
- Learned how to handle and laying down drip tape along the rows.
- After we finished we headed towards the strawberry rows on the north field to help with site preparation of the black mulch papers for strawberries to help kickstart a process called “soil solarization”; this practice helps manage weed, pests & diseases in the soil. Ended my shift at 12 pm.
- Met Whitney, Daisy, Steve, and Claire today.
- Harvested Radish and Bok Choy on the summer field with Rebecca for the CSA.
- Proceeded to sort out and wash the day’s harvest for the CSA orders.
- Started around 9 am and ended at 11:40 am.
- Met Aryana, Rebecca, and Wilson today.